On this edition of The Realist Report, we'll be joined once again by Tom in Connecticut. Tom and I will be discussing the systematic use of deception.
Please visit The Realist Report on TalkeShoe to download this and past episodes.
Below are relevant links and data for this program:
- TERROR IN THE CAPITAL DRILL GONE REAL
- The Washington D.C. Navy Yard Shooting Hoax
- Navy Yard shooting: Aaron Alexis narrative crumbling by John Rappopport
- Artifacts from the DC Navy Yard Shooting by Dr. James Tracy
- Carney: Obama Implementing Executive Actions Following Navy Yard Shooting - CBS DC
- Flight 175 (rare video)
"We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do." - quote attributed to Karl Rove
ONLY TWO TYPES OF DECEPTION:
- physical deception: the various adaptations nature has evolved to protect various species
- psychological deception: the manipulation of human perception
Both physical and psychological deception share:
"…two broad categories in the structure of deceit, hiding the real and showing the false. The second category cannot exist without the first, for all deception and cheating involves hiding. Level one deception, hiding, is itself divided into three distinct parts: masking, repackaging,
and dazzling. Level-two deception, showing, also has three parts: mimicking, inventing, and decoying…
The basic purpose of hiding is to screen or cloak a person, place, thing, direction, or time by a variety of means that range from the simple to the complex. These combined means hide by producing a cover. The basic purpose of showing is consciously to display the false which, perforce, must hide the real. In showing, the end result is to create an EFFECT, an illusion of the false as real. All SHOWING involves hiding, but HIDING almost never involves showing."
If we are considering the possibility of active deception by our adversary, then we must ascertain the likelihood that each individual piece of evidence is deceptive. A short list of indicators that helps in that task is:
- Past Operational Practices